FOR WEBSITES CONSIDER...
Consider the source--Use recognized authorities. Know who is responsible for the content.
Focus on quality-- All Web sites are not created equal. Does the site have an editorial board? Is the information reviewed before it is posted?
Be a cyberskeptic--Quackery abounds on the Web. Does the site make health claims that seem too good to be true? Does the information use deliberately obscure, "scientific" sounding language? Does it promise quick, dramatic, miraculous results? Is this the only site making these claims?
Look for the evidence--Rely on medical research, not opinion. Does the site identify the author? Does it rely on testimonials?
Check for currency--Look for the latest information Is the information current?
Beware of bias--What is the purpose? Who is providing the funding? Who pays for the site?
Consult with your health professional--Patient/provider partnerships lead to the best medical decisions.
Source: MedlinePlus Guide to Healthy Web Surfing 2014
RECOMMENDED NURSING WEBSITES
- Drug Information Portal –from the National Institute of Health
- Medical Dictionary -- MedLinePlus Medical Dictionary
- Merck Manual -- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy. See also Merck Manual : Special Subjects
- Visual Medical Dictionary -- Dictionary & thesaurus for definitions & keywords
- National Institutes of Health—primary Medical research agency of the Department of Health & Human Services
- National Library of Medicine - research from the NIH, including reports from the Surgeon General &many other resources
- National Center for Healthcare Statistics - from the Center for Disease Control
- MEDLINEplus / MEDLINEplus en Español / MEDLINEplus other Languages - from the NLM, consumer-oriented
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse - from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine – from the NIH
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention / Centros para el Control y la Prevención de Enfermedades
- Cancer.gov - from the National Cancer Institute
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality – from the Department of Health and Human Services
- Healthfinder.gov / Healthfinder.gov en Español – information on health & health care from the DHHS, consumer-oriented
- Health on the Net -- promotes reliable health information on the web
- Global Health Facts –from the Kaiser Family Foundation
- State Health Facts – from the Kaiser Family Foundation
- Healthy Santa Cruz County –from the Santa Cruz Public Library, includes the Community Information Database
- Health Reports and Statistics -- from the Santa Cruz County Health Services
- Multi-Cultural Resources for Health Information -- from the NLM
- McKinley Health Center Multicultural Health Clearinghouse
- Ethnomed -- Specific information on various cultures
- American Indian Health
- Women's Health - from the Mayo Clinic
- Students with Disabilities
- Refugee Health Information Network
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- American Medical Association
- American Nurses Association
- California Board of Registered Nursing
- California Nurses Association
- Career Guide to Industries, Healthcare
- Health Professions Education Foundation
- National Student Nurses' Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
Cabrillo College Sites