Consider the Source - Know who is responsible for the content.
Focus on quality - All Web sites are not created equal. Does the site have an editorial board? Is the information reviewed before it is posted?
Look for the evidence - Rely on research, not opinion. Does the site identify the author?
Check for currency - Look for the latest information Is the information current?
Beware of bias - What is the purpose? Who is providing the funding? Who pays for the site?
Community, Children, & Families
- Santa Cruz County Assessment Project (2014) - in-depth data from surveys and community organizations on quality of life in Santa Cruz from the United Way.
- Santa Cruz Public Library's Community Information Database - a database of human service resources available to people in Santa Cruz County
- Public Policy Institute of California - information on health & human services, education, and the economy in California
- Pew Research Center - information on health, education, and employment in the United States
- Rand - information on children & families, health, and education & the arts in the United States
- Community Bridges - programs for children & families in Santa Cruz County
- Community Action Board - information about service programs in Santa Cruz County
- Santa Cruz County Human Services
- First 5 of Santa Cruz County
- Community Foundation of Santa Cruz County - provides grants for community programs
- National Center for Education Statistics: Santa Cruz Schools, Colleges, and Libraries
- Ed-Data - school profiles -- search by county, district, and school
- Santa Cruz County Office of Education
- Arts Education - from the Arts Council of Santa Cruz County
- Occupational Employment & Wages Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA - from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. For more detail about types of jobs and wages, see Occupational Major Occupations Groups & Wages
- Employment & Wages: Santa Cruz County Development Department - from the California Employment Development Department
- Workforce Santa Cruz County - services for job-seekers & businesses
- Santa Cruz County Health Department
- 211 Santa Cruz - connect to community services in Santa Cruz County
- Indicators of Alcohol and Other Drug Risk and Consequences for Santa Cruz Counties (2010)
- Healthcare Atlas: Santa Cruz County
- Department of Social Services Reports & Research - data on participation in programs such as CalWORKs & CalFresh
- National Instute on Drug Abuse