REFERENCESEARCH: BACKGROUND INFORMATION
DATABASES: BACKGROUND INFORMATION
CQ Researcher - Reports on public policy issues
- Emerging Infectious Diseases (2015)
- Pesticide Controversies (2015)
- Air Pollution and Climate Change (2015)
- Global Population Growth (2015)
- Marijuana Industry (2015)
- Protecting the Oceans (2014)
- Global Hunger (2014)
- Regulating Toxic Chemicals (2014)
- Food Policy Debates (2014)
- National Parks (2014)
- Future of the Arctic (2013)
- Climate Change (2013)
- Coastal Development (2013)
- Gun Control (2013)
- Vanishing Biodiversity (2012)
- Water Crisis in the West (2011)
- Fracking Controversy (2011)
- Plastic Pollution (2010)
WHAT IS A SCHOLARLY ARTICLE?
Scholarly articles are written by experts in the field and, additionally, reviewed by a panel experts in the field. They tend to include a lot of research and data, and the information in the article is backed up by a list of references.
Popular articles are often written by journalists for a general audience and are not reviewed by experts in the field. Popular articles rarely include references.
For more detailed information on what a scholarly article looks like, see Anatomy of a Scholarly Article.
*Use Your Library Card to Access these Databases from Off-Campus*
- Academic Search Complete - Scholarly journals, magazines, & newspapers on a wide range of topics.
- PLOS ONE - an international, peer-reviewed, journal that provides access to primary scientific research. See the below for instructions on searching in PLOS one
- CountryWatch - Up-to-date information on all countries
- Health Source Nursing/Academic - Journals and magazines on a variety of medical topics
- Medline - Abstracts from biomedical journals
- ProQuest National Newspapers Core - fulltext of 5 key newspapers
- Newspaper Source Plus - National and international newspapers
- EBSCOHost eBook Collection - full-text ebooks available 24/7
SEARCHING IN PLOS ONE
PLOS ONE is an international, peer-reviewed, open-access journal that provides access to primary scientific research.
Sort by relevance, date, or times cited
Use Advanced Search to search for articles by subject or article type
Use Subject Areas to browse articles in a particular subject area: