RECOMMENDED WEBSITES: HEALTH & THE ENVIRONMENT
Santa Cruz & California
- Santa Cruz County Assessment Project (2015) - in-depth data on quality of life in Santa Cruz from the United Way
- Santa Cruz Public Library's Community Information Database - a database of human service resources available to people in Santa Cruz County
- State Health Facts - from the Kaiser Family Foundation
- Health Reports and Statistics - from the Santa Cruz County Health Services
- Health Information & Research - health and vital statistics data from the California Department of Public Health
- Public Policy Institute of California - reports on Health & Human Services, Energy & Climate Change, Water, and other topics in California
United States & Global
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (U.S.) - A reliable source of chemical safety and toxicity information from the Department of Health & Human Services
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Environmental Health and National Center for Environmental Health
- Environmental Health & Toxicology: Information Sources
- Environmental Protection Agency
- National Institutes of Health
- National Resources Conservation (USDA)
- Pew Research Center - independent, nonpartisan research, including current statistics
- Rand - Reports on Health, Energy & the Environment, Infrastructure and Transportation, and other topics
- Science Education - resources from goverment agencies, including NASA, NIH, USDA, USGS, NOAA, and the USDE
- World Health Organization- Environmental health
Evaluation of Sources
Consider the Source - Know who is responsible for the content.
Focus on quality - All Web sites are not created equal. Does the site have an editorial board? Is the information reviewed before it is posted?
Look for the evidence - Rely on research, not opinion. Does the site identify the author?
Check for currency - Look for the latest information Is the information current?
Beware of bias - What is the purpose? Who is providing the funding? Who pays for the site?