Examples of Primary Sources
Sleepy Lagoon Defendents.1944. UCLA, Library Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library Calisphere.
Davies, Lawrence E. "Seek Basic Causes of Zoot Suit Fray." New York Times (1923-Current file): 21. Jun 11 1943. ProQuest. Web. 11 Sep. 2013
What is a Primary Source?
Primary sources provide first-hand testimony or direct evidence on a subject. They are created by someone who experienced the period or event first hand. Examples include:
- diaries or correspondence
- autobiographies and oral histories
- photographs and illustrations
- newspaper articles (from the time period)
- pamphlets, broadsides, or other ephemera
Source: What are Primary Sources (Yale University)