WEBSITES: RELEVANT & RELIABLE
Nutrition & Food Safety
- Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Food and Drug Administration
- International Food Information Council
- Nutrient Data Laboratory
- State Health Facts - From the Kaiser Family Foundation
- Health Information & Research - From the California Department of Public Health
- Health Reports and Statistics - From the Santa Cruz County Health Services
- Santa Cruz County Assessment Project (2015) - current data on quality of life in Santa Cruz from the United Way
USING GOOGLE TO FIND GOVERNMENT RESEARCH
Google can be used not only to search for everything available via Google, but to search for specific types of information. Some options available using Google:
- Get only results from a government website by including site:gov in your search:
- phytochemicals site:gov
- Find only results where your terms are in the exact order you typed by using "quotes" around your terms:Find results matching either of two or more terms:
- "vitamin e"
- "dietary supplements" legislation OR regulation
- Exclude a topic from your Google searches, using a minus (-) sign:
- pesticides -agriculture
- Or, use any combination of these:
- "food safety" -pregnancy legislation OR regulation site:gov
Consider the Source - Know who is responsible for the content.
Focus on quality - All Web sites are not created equal. Does the site have an editorial board? Is the information reviewed before it is posted?
Look for the evidence - Rely on research, not opinion. Does the site identify the author?
Check for currency - Look for the latest information Is the information current?
Beware of bias - What is the purpose? Who is providing the funding? Who pays for the site?