Consider the source -- Can you identify the author? Know who is responsible for the content.
Focus on quality -- All Web sites are not created equal. Does the site have an editorial board? Is the information reviewed before it is posted?
Look for the evidence -- Rely on research, not opinion. Does the site identify their sources? Does it rely on testimonials?
Check for currency -- Look for a publication date. Is the information current?
Beware of bias -- What is the purpose of this site? Who provides the funding?
Adapted from: MedlinePlus Guide to Healthy Web Surfing 2015
WEBSITES ON GLOBAL ISSUES
- Eldis (Institute of Development Studies)- provides research guides on global issues. Search by issue or country
- Policy Archive (Center for Governmental Studies) - reports on public policy issues. Search by issue
- Global Policy Forum - An "independent policy watchdog that monitors the work of the United Nations and scrutinizes global policymaking."
- Demographic Yearbook - From the United Nations
- Statistical Yearbook - From the United Nations
- International Statistical Agencies - From the U.S. Census
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics - From the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization
- World Fact Book - From the CIA
- Worldometers - A commercial site with constantly updated population and other statistics
- Statistics - From the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- Country Reports - From the International Monetary Fund
- Economic Statistics - From the United Nations
- World Bank Data - From the World Bank
- World Economic Outlook - From the International Montetary Fund
- Data and Research: Education - From the World Bank
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics: Education - From the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization
- Country Statistics - From the World Health Organization
- Data and Research: Health, Nutrition, and Population - From the World Bank
- World Health Statistics Annual Reports - From the World Health Organization