FOR WEBSITES CONSIDER...
Consider the source--Use recognized authorities. Know who is responsible for the content.
Focus on quality--All Web sites are not created equal. Does the site have an editorial board? Is the information reviewed before it is posted?
Be a cyberskeptic--Does the site make health claims that seem too good to be true? Does the information use deliberately obscure, "scientific" sounding language? Does it promise quick, dramatic, miraculous results?
Look for the evidence--Rely on medical research, not opinion. Does the site identify the author? Does it rely on testimonials?
Check for currency--Look for the latest information Is the information current?
Beware of bias--What is the purpose? Who is providing the funding? Who pays for the site?
Source: MedlinePlus Guide to Healthy Web Surfing 2014
- Center for Oral Health -- Research & public policy on Dental Health
- Children's Dental Health Project -- Research & public policy on Children's Dental Health
- Children's Partnership -- Research & public policy on Dental Health for Children in California
- California Dental Association Code of Ethics -- Ethical standards adopted by the CDA
- Dental Hygiene Links -- From Dental Hygiene Education
- DHNet -- From the National Center for Dental Hygiene Research. See Guide to the Internet for Dental Hygienists
- Evidentista -- Database of current research on clinical practice questions
- HealthyTeeth -- Oral Health Education Database for children, family, & educators
- Hygienetown -- Community-based website for Dental professionals
- Medline Plus: Child Dental Health -- From the National Library of Medicine
- MouthHealthy -- ADA site for patients. MouthHealthyKids has videos & games
- National Center for Health Statistics: Oral & Dental Health -- From the Center for Disease Control
- National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research -- Overviews, research, and statistics on oral health issues
- Oral Health -- from the Center for Disease Control
- Reviews: Evidence Database -- from the American Dental Association
- Tooth Fairy -- Produced by a Cabrillo alumna
- The Virtual Dental Center -- Martindale's Health Science Guide
- WHO Oral Health Country/Area Profile Programme -- Oral HealthProfiles for countries around the world
Liscencing and Regulation
- Registered Dental Hygienist Examinations Candidate Handbook
- Division 11: Dental Hygiene Committee of California (California Code of Regulations)
- Licensure -- American Dental Hygienists' Association
- Code of Ethics for Dental Hygienists (p. 29)
- California's Medicaid Dental Program
- CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program) Dental Coverage
- Medicare and Medicaid -- from the American Dental Association
- ADHA Online -- American Dental Hygienists' Association
- CDHA -- California Dental Hygienists' Association
- ADA Online -- American Dental Association
- CDA -- California Dental Association
- AAP -- American Academy of Periodontology
- Dental Hygiene Department Home Page -- Cabrillo College