FOR WEBSITES CONSIDER...
Consider the source--Use recognized authorities. Know who is responsible for the content.
Focus on quality--All Web sites are not created equal. Does the site have an editorial board? Is the information reviewed before it is posted?
Look for the evidence--Rely on research, not opinion. Does the site identify the author? Does it rely on testimonials?
Check for currency--Look for the latest information Is the information current?
Beware of bias--What is the purpose? Who is providing the funding? Who pays for the site?
Source: MedlinePlus Guide to Healthy Web Surfing 2014
- Pew Research Center - nonpartisan research reports
- Public Policy Institute of California - nonpartisan research reports on California
- Rand - nonpartisan research reports
- Santa Cruz County Assessment Project (2013) - data from surveys and community organizations on quality of life in Santa Cruz from the United Way
- Pew Research Center: Immigration Reports
- Remade in America: a New York Times series about recent immigrants and their impact on American Institutions. See their interactive maps on where U.S. Workers Come From, where Immigrants Settle, and Diversity in the Classroom
- Immigration Reports - from the America's Society and the Council of the Americas
- Public Policy Institute of California: Immigrants in California
- For more information see also Key Immigration Statistics and California Undocumented Immigrants.
- Immigration Overview - from the National Archives
- California Cultures - resources on diverse ethnic groups in California from the University of California Libraries
- Bracero History Archive
- Immigration and Citizenship - links from federal websites
- Demographic Reports & Research: California
- Same-Sex Marriage Laws by State (Moriztz College of Law, OSU)
- Same-Sex Households (U.S. Census)
- Pew Research Center: Gay Marriage and Homosexuality
- Public Policy Institute of California: Californians' Attitudes towards Same-Sex Marriage
- The Williams Institute (UCLA Law School) - independent research on sexual orientation, gender identity, and public policy
- LGBT Relationships - (American Civil Liberties Union)
- Freedom to Marry - a pro-same-sex marriage advocacy group
- Protecting the Institution of Marriage (The Heritage Foundation) - an anti-same-sex marriage advocacy group
Wikipedias: Pros & Cons
|Worlds largest encyclopedia with millions of entries on obscure topics||Articles are not edited or peer-reviewed|
|Great place to start & identify keywords||
Many instructors will not allow Wikipedia citations because they are not not edited or reviewed
|Updated regularly, sometimes by the second||Articles get vandalized for ideological reasons or just for fun|
|Can include excellent references & external links||Can be skewed or biased -- based on authors interests, beliefs, opinions|
|Anyone can edit Wikipedia -- the people's encyclopedia!||Anyone can edit Wikipedia -- no one checks their credentials or agendas|