Consider the Source - Know who is responsible for the content.
Focus on quality - All Web sites are not created equal. Does the site have an editorial board? Is the information reviewed before it is posted?
Look for the evidence - Rely on research, not opinion. Does the site identify the author? Does it rely on testimonials?
Check for currency - Look for the latest information Is the information current?
Beware of bias - what is the purpose? Who is providing the funding? Who pays for the site?
- Pew Research Center
- Public Policy Institute of California
- Santa Cruz County Assessment Project (2015)
State & National Resources
- California Department of Social Services
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- MedlinePlus / Medline Plus Español - from the National Library of Medicine
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
- National Organization for Human Services
- Occupational Employment & Wages Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA - from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. For more detail about types of jobs and wages, see Occupational Major Occupations Groups & Wages
- Research: Berkeley School of Social Welfare
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Community Action Board - information about service programs in Santa Cruz County
- Community Bridges - services for children, families, and seniors
- Human Care Alliance - a directory of human services organizations in Santa Cruz
- Human Services Department County of Santa Cruz - information on a range of services in Santa Cruz County
- Human Services Department County of Santa Cruz: Behavioral Health
- Recovery Wave (Santa Cruz County Alcohol & Drug Abuse Commission)
- Santa Cruz Public Library's Community Information Database - a database of human service resources available to people in Santa Cruz County