Finding Periodical Articles -- General or specialized?
Databases come in many flavors. General databases cover lots of different subject areas and include both general and specialized audience information. Specialty databases focus on more specialized publications in one subject area. You find more specialized information as well as more specialized terms in specialty databases, the "insider lingo," different from the more general-audience publications and terms found in general databases.
Comparing ProQuest Newspapers and CINAHL Plus
- From the library homepage (www.cabrillo.edu/services/library):
- Click on Articles and Databases
- First, under News click on ProQuest National Newspapers Core (a typical collection of newspaper articles)
- Try searching each of these: shin splints compared to medial tibial stress syndrome
- Next, under Health, Medicine & Science, click on CINAHL Plus (a specialized medical database)
- Try the same searches