1. Pre-research: get some background information on your topic
3. Brainstorm your research questions and keywords on your topic
3. Find articles on your topic using the library databases
4. Find a book on your topic -- print or electronic
5. Find a relevant, reliable website
6. Start to draft your annotated bibliography
Start with your broad topic
Brainstorm specific research questions. Try asking questions such as Why? Who? How? When? Where? In what ways?
|Look for broad questions that can be further divided into more narrow, specific questions.
|And continue to narrow your focus...||
Review your topic map. Which questions are you most interested in? Which are the best fit for your assignment? Highlight keywords and phrases you can use to search for information on this topic.
Source: UCLA Library Inquiry Labs